I was brushing off my car, the wind whipping my hair around my face, when I caught myself silently grumbling about winter. I actually really like winter, but I dislike driving in lake effect snow, and I don’t know of anyone who enjoys brushing off their car. As true as that is, I stopped the moment I realized that I was mentally whining and started to think about what I enjoy about the season.
- Walks in a quiet, frosted forest.
- Seeing animal tracks.
- Big, fluffy flakes.
- Feeding the birds in the cold of winter.
- How prominent the evergreens become in our landscape.
- The way the light hits icy water just right, making it look like crystal.
- Frosty patterns on glass.
- Dusty snow that easily falls away from the car on busy mornings.
- How most insect pests hibernate or die from the cold.
- Clear, gelid starlight.
- Making snow people and snow fairies with my daughter.
- Throwing snowballs at my husband, and dodging his retaliations.
- Cozy evenings in with my family.
- The anticipation and celebration of snow days.
- The way my daughter’s eyes grow wide with wonder at the sight of snow.
- How tough I feel for surviving Upstate NY winters every year.
Reflecting in this way made the challenges more bearable. I hope I can still do this when January, February, and early March inevitably challenge us with even colder, icier days.
What are your favorite aspects of winter?